Friday, October 07, 2005

Sporty Weekend

It's a big weekend here in Laramie. For the first time in 5 years I will be able to watch the Pentathlon. The Pentathlon was the worst swimming event all season long. It didn't help that it is the first meet of the year. Seen as how I could only swim Freestyle and Backstroke, I didn't enjoy it much. In fact, only a couple of people enjoy it every year. These people are the IM'ers, their specialty being the medley of strokes. I did enjoy rallying on these people in freestyle though, that was certainly one pleasure taken from the annual pentathlon. However, the 100 butterfly often overshadowed that experience if it came after the freestyle. In butterfly, one is supposed to bring both arms to the front, above the water, for the stroke recovery. This was no problem for me for about 85 yards, but the last 15 were very ugly, so ugly that you just couldn't call it butterfly. It will be so comforting watching the five swims today that I don't have to do.

The Cowboys play the Horned Frogs from TCU on Saturday. This is a huge game, for first place in the MWC. I am pretty stoked about it because I get to be on the field. The last three years I was always on the field because I ran the down marker, but that job is only for current athletes. Anyway, my roommate has a job on the field on Saturday and I am going to keep him company. He mans the instant replay headset for the referees.

Two big sporting events are essential to this weekend being great. UW isn't a Notre Dame or Texas, but we are D-I, and I am thankful for that. You know why, because everything else just doesn't measure up.

No comments: