Monday, October 03, 2005

Giddiness Achieved

I am going to be in London for my last semester of undergraduate studies. A lot of things had to happen in order to make this a possibility, and the fact that they did is a huge relief after a long time spent hoping that this would become a reality. Woohoo! So giddy!

On another note, Hamlet isn't that bad, but King Lear sucks. I don't care if it's Shakespeare...I just don't like it. This reminds me that a favorite pastime of mine is to criticize the canon of English literature. Sure, all the stuff is influential and important to the development of English literature and the language, but some of it is just horrible. Beowulf is awful. The obsession with that text never ceases to amaze me. You know they are making a movie of it? I pray that it is nothing like Beowulf, then and only then, will it have a chance of being entertaining.

My criticisms of the English canon will have to stop now because I have to go to an English Lit. class. Ha! There may be more dislike directed toward the canon, but that isn't a guarantee.

No comments: