Friday, October 21, 2005

PC

I spend too much of my life being politically correct. I hate the idea of being politically correct. Life is opinionated, opinions offend, life is offensive. What I value and what I think shouldn't be hidden, and I find that I have hidden a lot of myself in fear of being judged, or in fear of a conversation that will turn into an argument. More often than not, I hide my beliefs from people I am friends with. This is very unfortunate. So, there will be more of the silly hidden stuff coming out in blogs to come.

The other night, I was browsing over a table of papers that had academic tips on them. I picked up a bookmark that had some "How to Keep Calm During Tests" tips on them. The second one on the list is, Admit to yourself, "I will not know all of the answers." I burst out laughing in a study hall that is supposed to be quiet and that I am supposed to be watching over. I can see the concept behind this tip, but couldn't the authors have worded it in a different way. This phrase makes the possibility of acing a test an impossibility. Given the location of these test-taking tips--in a study hall for student-athletes that haven't been able to get out of study hall because their gpa is not above the 2.5 or 3.0 mark--an ace on a test is most definitely an impossibility at this stage in their academic career. Further on down the list one more tip made me laugh. If you notice you are not thinking well, relax yourself physically during the exam. I immediately thought of someone feeling themselves up, or adjusting themselves and I laughed once again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might not believe this, but I do the same thing. A lot. Good luck with this. I look forward to what I hope will be a long future of spirited conversations. I have always been interested in what you have to say, especially when I disagree with you.

Anonymous said...

I hope that you tell me everything on your mind--we may not always agree on it, but I love hearing your thoughts and it makes me sad to think that you may not tell me something for fear of conflict. And, with respect to the study tips--I agree, they are a joke. If people take time to really get into a relaxed state during a test, by the time they are relaxed, the test is over!
-Kate