Wednesday, March 05, 2008

And I mourn

This gem via Andrew Sullivan via James Fallows. Hillary speaks today:

"Sen. McCain has a lifetime of experience, I have a lifetime of experience, Sen. Obama has one speech in 2002"
In the primaries, a vote for her, really is a vote for McCain. Hillary lover or hater, how could you think that this is something presidential to say?

I still hoped that Obama could pull out some miraculous victories last night in Texas. This morning it is clear that despite it being theoretically impossible for Clinton to win (in terms of pledged delegates), the democratic presidential primary is going to the summer.

I really didn't go to bed too happy last night. I am disappointed even more by the way Clinton has ran her campaign. I felt like my hope for Obama had diminished because of the looming "comeback kid" stories.

Now it's a new day. I still don't like Clinton. I've imagined November and the options that could be on the ballot: Clinton and McCain. I might not even vote if that's the case. That's the way I feel right now.

My hope for an Obama victory is back. It definitely took a hit last night, but hearing and reading the experts today gives me a little comfort. It sounds like Obama's delegate lead is not one Clinton can overcome. That's great, but he still needs to win states like Wyoming on Saturday and a few others scattered here and there throughout the next two months. I don't know if there is a point in this race that Clinton would actually realize she is going to lose this thing, but Obama must do his best to try to strive for that to save what is left of the Democratic party.

One more thing...

I am new to this political thing for a couple reasons. One, I am still young. November will be the second presidential election in which I will get to cast a ballot. Two, I voted for all the (R)s I could see on the 2004 ballot. I am not doing that anymore, but I would like to feel a little better about that, and this ugly fight is not helping.

No comments: