Thursday, November 30, 2006

London - 29 Jan 06

29 January 2006, Sunday

The London Dungeon was a waste of ₤5. Wow! It was a museum that tried to scare me, it failed, and it also failed to teach me that much as well. For dinner a group of us went to La Porchetta on Muswell Hill. I don’t know if I like that place very much.

I had a 50 minute conversation with Kate last night…Awesome! She sounded great. Afterward I watched some of Mars Attacks! Then I went to bed. It was one of those movies that a previous student had left in my room.

The Chinese New Year celebration in London was today. There was sort of a lame parade followed by a walk through a very crowded China Town. I left the pack and went to the Imperial War Museum. It was amazing. I by far spent the majority of my time in the Holocaust exhibit. I read nearly everything on the walls and like always it was so hard to fathom the cruelty of humans, and it is impossible to imagine the suffering of the Jews. I always get so pissed off at 20th century Germans when I think of the Holocaust, or when I am presented with information about it.

The organ recital at St. Paul’s tonight left me speechless. I definitely enjoyed it more than the Abbey. They seat you right under the dome and the organ blasts away. The ceiling of the dome is something to spend hours looking at. Incredible!

There are some good looking women in London, but regardless of someone else’s good looks, the highlight, and a great end to everyday, is looking at my picture of Kate when I get back to Muswell Hill. I brought my favorite picture of her. It was taken at the Grand Lux in Chicago on Michigan Avenue. She is the definition of beauty. Shock is still an overwhelming feeling in my soul when I am reminded that she is my girlfriend, and that she loves me.

Okay. The design and layout of most of London is quite ridiculous. It shows no plan, purpose, or usefulness. The only square blocks in all of London, and there aren’t that many, are called squares, and they are designated park space. Funny. You can’t even give directions in blocks as a specific distance because there are no two blocks in London that are the same width.

Tomorrow is a tour of the British Museum with Bob. I also have a few errands to run and some homework…surprising, I know.

One last thing, this is no exaggeration, Central Presbyterian Church could fit under the dome of St. Paul’s and not touch any surface of St. Paul’s except the floor. Central’s bell tower wouldn’t even come close to entering into the arc of the dome.

I was shocked at how crappy the London Dungeon was. This attraction makes it into every London guidebook. I don’t know why. There was a huge line for it. Luckily, since I went in a group we skipped it. I have a quick story about this place though. The employees at the dungeon are in character the whole time. They sometimes sort of break character to talk to someone directly in the audience. When we were led to a room in the dungeon, which was set up as a court room, some people from the audience were “forced” to take the stand. The guy playing judge would ask, “What country are you from?” “Why are you in the UK?” He would then read to them the court’s charge against them. He would then follow the charge up with a verdict. Well, there was a German up there first, and then a Brit, and then a third took the stand.

“And where are you from?” The judge asked.
“The US.”
“GUILTY as charged.” It was great.

The organ at St. Paul’s has over 7,000 pipes. I was a regular on Sunday evenings. Later on in the semester they started seating guests in the choir stalls for the recitals. The organ is right above the choir stalls so you got an earful. If you ever are in London on a Sunday evening, do it.

The Imperial War Museum and nearly all museums and galleries in London have no admission price. Patrons are encouraged to donate, but everything is free. There used to be a charge for most of them. London dropped the entry fees and attendance doubled. If that is what it takes to get the masses to art, exhibits, and museums, I am all for this policy being brought to the US.

The Chinese New Year parade had a bunch of white girls in it. It was weird.

Bob led a lot of tours throughout the semester. You didn’t have to go on them. You didn’t have to go on any of the daytrips either, but I went on all of them. The man is a genius. I am convinced he knows absolutely everything about London and most there is to know about the surrounding countryside. Stud.

Both of the pictures are of St. Paul’s Cathedral.

No comments: