Friday, November 24, 2006

London - 21 Jan 06 # 2

21 January 06

Later on the same day… After I wrote earlier I got up and walked a bit further toward Kensington Palace and came to Long Pond. I called Mom and Dad from the pond. We had a good conversation. I walked by Harrods and went in for a little bit. The place is ridiculous. Many shops, products, people, much money, and slow walkers…I didn’t last long. There are countless Ferraris, Bentleys, Rolls’, and other expensive cars in Kensington.

I headed back to Leicester Square for more falafel and a slice of pizza. I was tired of walking so I took the Piccadilly home from Leicester. I stopped off at Tesco and picked up milk, Pringles, an ice cream bar, and a sandwich for tomorrow’s lunch. I hope to go to Westminster Abbey at 5 tomorrow for the organ recital. Prior to that I might run if it is not too cold, but it’s supposed to be. On another note, a whale that swam up the Thames died today after an attempted rescue. Bummer.

A conversation with Kate was a great end to the day. It’s sad to report that Angus (a dog) has cancer and he will only live a couple more months. I am sad for Kate’s family because they love their dogs. Angus is a part of the family in a way, and certainly part of their daily entertainment.
I have been trying to write while watching A Knight’s Tale. It has proved to be distracting and has made my writing for this entry quite craptacular. I give my apologies to myself and other people who might read this in the future. This is my ninth night bedding down in Muswell Hill. It feels like more than that. I will spend many more here before finding myself back home in Longmont.

It was too cold the day after this entry to run. I only ran once while I was in London. I did so much walking and climbed so many flights of stairs that I stayed in good shape while I was there.

When I spoke with my parents from Hyde Park I remember pacing around, bringing in my surroundings, and not quite believing that I was there, in front of Kensington Palace, chatting with the ‘rents in Colorado. Our capability to connect is astonishing.

Everyone I spoke to in the US around this day knew about that whale that swam up the Thames. Kate asked me why I didn’t go down to see it. I didn’t want to join the pity party, plus I could watch on CNN.

No comments: