Tuesday, November 21, 2006

London - 17 Jan 06

17 January 2006

Class was over again at 12:15 today. I wrote emails for a while and then ventured off by myself. It was an enjoyable journey. I took the Tube south to St. Paul’s and walked around the exterior of it. I went inside a portion of it, but I didn’t want to pay the pounds to go in until Kate gets here. I bet I might break down and do that earlier. We will see. From what I could see the inside of the cathedral is going to be amazing. On the way out I noticed a quote on the door in large writing. It read, “This is none other than the house of God, this is the Gate of Heaven.” I thought that really added to the magnificence of the church. Being inside it and around it you feel as though its sheer size and detail attracts even the eyes of Heaven. It feels very holy.

I then walked down Fleet Street and took adjoining streets to get to Leicester Square. I tried out a Burger King there. It was all right, but I prefer the random local places.

A red carpet outside the Empire caught my eye, plus the hundreds of people lined on either side. I asked around and found out it was 50 Cent’s movie premiere. I hung around for about 45 minutes and then he rolled up in a Bentley. I got a couple shots of the guy. I am not a huge fan, but I just wanted to have that experience. It was memorable enough. By then it was closing in on 8 and it had been a long day so I took the journey home. I really did enjoy walking through London by myself. It was refreshing and relieving. An air of independence and freedom was abounding.


I did see the inside of St. Paul’s Cathedral many times before Kate arrived in March. However, I reserved paying the ₤8 for the official tour until Kate was there. The quote on the door to the cathedral strikes me as an arrogant statement to put on a church door. No church is closer to the gate of heaven than any other church, but you know, Sir Christopher Wren may have wanted me to feel I was closer to heaven when I walked through those doors and stared at the ceiling for hours. Mission accomplished, sir. I haven’t been in a more beautiful house of God.

I make the walk from St. Paul’s to Leicester Square sound short, but it is almost half the width of central London. The pictures of 50 turned out to be awful. I deleted them.

I had never felt so free until I went to London. Obligations were minimal. The city is vast and limitless. Freedom and independence continued to be strong themes throughout the semester.

No comments: