Tuesday, November 28, 2006

London - 24 Jan 06

24 January 2006

Today was the day I saw Patrick Stewart. I was at MOM’s Books a little early so I went into a Sainsbury’s to get some gum. I was walking out of the store and glanced up at the man walking in. I did a double take. It was Patrick Stewart. He had a hat on and the collar popped on a leather jacket. I asked the people at MOM’s Books what was up with that and apparently there is a rehearsal stage nearby. Crazy.

Anyway, at work I helped with some research for a book on senior moments. I found some pretty funny jokes about growing old and whatnot. I am due back on Thursday at 9:30 am and I will be doing something different this time. It will take a couple of weeks to see if I am really going to enjoy this.

The Tube was very packed today on the way home from work because of the Arsenal game. It was insane.

Tomorrow is the welcome reception at a pub for all the AIFS students. That should be alright. In the morning I am taking a tour of the Abbey for a religious studies course. It will cost ₤10 though!

I just called Kate and left a message on her phone about seeing Stewart. I had to tell somebody other than writing it in this journal.

Oh! I got a haircut at Mr. Toppers tonight. ₤6 with a ₤1 tip. That is a good deal. That is less than $14 back home. The hair looks pretty good too.

I didn’t say anything to Patrick Stewart. He looked a little nervous when he looked at me, like he had been caught. After I thought about it some more I was really glad I didn’t say, “Hey, aren’t you Professor X?” I bet he enjoys not being seen.

When heading into town on the Piccadilly line I would get on Finsbury Park. The next closest stop is Arsenal. So, heading home that day was the tightest Tube ride I ever experienced. I was unintentionally touching many strangers.

The Abbey only cost ₤6, but that is still ten dollars and I took the tour twice. The Abbey is an amazing building with enough history to fill volumes. King Edward I, the mean English king in Braveheart, actually has one of the prime coffin sites around the coffin of Edward the Confessor. King Edward I’s coffin is plain and ugly compared to the rest of them because he didn’t want an ornate one before England conquered Scotland. His desire was to have his coffin moved to Scotland and decorated there. England never conquered Scotland. Mel Gibson fought off the English hordes and Robert the Bruce beat some English arse. So, poor old Edward had to rot away in the Abbey instead.

The hair was much too short after the cut, but I couldn’t complain. A haircut for roughly $12 in the city of London was a downright miracle. Mr. Toppers on Tottenham Court Road in Bloomsbury, check it out sometime.

No comments: