Monday, November 20, 2006

Journal

I have spent the past two nights reading my journal from London. I haven't read it through since I finished it in April. Reading it has been so enjoyable, probably because I am reading about my experiences. I don't know if what I wrote will be interesting to any of you, but there is a small part of me that thinks some might enjoy it, the same part that loves reading about your experiences. Here it is, the first entry from London, and an immediate reaction after typing it in Word, which was a good thing to do because I don't have a copy of this writing until now. This might become a daily occurence.

14 January 2006

Day two in London was spent at the University of London Union (ULU they call it) in the morning. Following some repetitive meetings we were given an hour for lunch. I ate at a sandwich place on Tottenham Court Road with Adam and Keith, my roommates at the Forbes' house at 23 Etheldene Avenue, Muswell Hill. The sandwich I got was quite the improvement on Jenny’s Restaurant, which is home to my first UK dining experience, which I may also add, was horrendous.

Following lunch we were given a three hour tour of London and I learned a tremendous amount about the city. Our guide knew everything about London. It is about 11 pm and it has been a very long day since I have only been here two days. I will write more later when I am not falling asleep. I don’t know what I will be doing tomorrow, but I would like to go to a free organ recital at St. Paul’s Cathedral.

Not long after I wrote this I too began to call the University of London Union the ULU. Tottenham Court Road became a daily destination for me. I was eating, browsing, or using the Goodge Street Tube station whenever I was on that street. My UK dining experiences remained disappointments for a while because I was being so stingy with my money. I regularly wound up at McDonalds, or found cheap falafel somewhere downtown. The falafel wasn’t that bad either. You can never rule out anything having its own entry on Wikipedia. Here is the Goodge Street Tube station entry. I just learned that the station “is one of eight London Underground stations which has a deep-level air-raid shelter underneath it. It was from Goodge Street station in 1944 that General Eisenhower broadcast the announcement of D-Day.” - Wikipedia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha I lived at that house in London when I did AIFS.... I too watched Mars Attacks, and ate at Jennys. I loved the church pub and the little kebob place right up the hill.