Monday, November 27, 2006

London - 23 Jan 06

23 January 2006

I got the blog thing figured out today. It is going to work quite nicely. The blog is piccadillyline.blogspot.com. After my one class this morning I had a lot of time online to read emails, and time enough to write a blog.

Afterwards I wasted ₤2.40 on a sandwich at Subway that barely put a dent in my hunger. Not to worry, my roommate and I came back and cooked spaghetti. To feed both of us a mountain of spaghetti cost less than ₤2. You can’t complain about that. It was awkward cooking in someone else’s kitchen though. I had to stop by a Boots tonight to pick up shampoo and q-tips. I wanted to clean the ears.

I have to confess to being homesick tonight for absolutely anything familiar, but especially Kate, friends, or my parents. I am glad this is not a full length semester. Twelve weeks is pretty long. I really don’t know how Guy did it at UW. I am very thankful he did though. I feel like crying, but I cannot cry. I feel like laughing, but even if I could it wouldn’t be genuine. I have experienced the first of some homesickness that I suspect will not be the last. British TV sucks. I can’t remember if I put that down in here yet. Ha! I did write that at the end of yesterday’s entry. Oh well, a second time makes it more dramatic.

That day was the only time I went to Subway in the UK. I don’t go to it here because it is awful. I don’t know why I thought it might be any different across the pond.

It is tempting to edit out pointless reports about what I bought at Boots, but the mundane tasks can’t always be forgotten. I wanted to remember what a Boots was, and maybe writing it down was necessary for that to happen.

My homesickness didn’t get any worse. The first two weeks were probably the hardest over there. It took some time to get used to everything, because everything was different. But really, from the day I got to London I started falling in love with the UK, and when it was time to leave I never wanted to. I wanted to see my girlfriend, friends, and family. Unfortunately, I couldn’t take 7 million Londoners home with me.

No comments: