Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Fatted Burrito

Big City Burrito introduced me to the big voluptuous burritos that I have come to desire and love so much. At the time, Chipotle, was a little known burrito joint that was starting in Denver. I wasn't introduced to one of these beautiful 22 oz. burritos until 1999, when I moved to Longmont. The third Chipotle had recently opened there. Though the Chipotle burrito is different than the BCB, they are both delectable and tantalizing to the tastebuds. I have enjoyed many of these burritos over the years and parting with the weekly, and sometimes daily intake of them when I left Colorado was sorrowful.

Laramie, not being a big town, was unsurprisingly void of any burrito joint when I came here in 2001. However disappointing this was, I recognized that the burritos I left behind would be that much better when I returned to them. This was very much the truth. The aura from these burrito joints called me hither as soon as I would return to Colorado, even if it was for a day.

Then it happened. My sophomore year, Fat Burrito came to town. I took the opportunity to indulge in one of my favorite traditions, and hoped that it could live on through this Wyoming extension of a fantastical food-fantasy. I was wrong. The place was awful. A tremendous amount of gas lurched from my body for the next few days. Each unfortunate odor reminding me of my shattered hope. On top of that, Fat Burrito was handing out fliers that advertised them as being "bigger and better than the 'city". As you can imagine, this didn't quench my dislike for them. I vowed never to return.

Over the next three years I had heard "fat burrito" in the air; in other conversations. It still occupied the darkest and most disdainful corners of my mind. People close to me began to speak of it as though it had a promising return to burrito excellence in store. I took it as a grain of salt, but the grains began piling up with the good reviews of burritoful experiences. The pile of salt was much too high to ignore.

Again, I broke the threshold of Fat Burrito. An improvement had been made. The ingredients were digestible and somewhat tasty, though still bland in comparison to the long-standing tradition of BCB, and the young stardom of Chipotle. The burrito is certainly as big at Fat Burrito, but not as heavy. The density of the tin-foil clouds in my dreams is much greater. I left Fat Burrito willing to return again, but the time between visits will certainly be the determining factor in how good this place really becomes. There only need be a few hours between visits to BCB or Chipotle for me to be craving their goodness again. It has been 8 days since my return trip to Fat Burrito, and it doesn't lure me to it's tortillas quite yet. I hope in my absence from Fat Burrito that they continue to improve. That I might return and find a burrito as good as BCB or Chipotle is still fantasy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i enjoy reading you blog thing...you have a great sesne of humor...now what are your deeper personal thoughts about life man?