Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Wyoming is so Uncivilized

What is with people thinking Wyoming is behind everyone else? I decided to go to UW on a whim, but some people I knew simply couldn't put that behind them. They have these ideas about Wyoming: that it is uncivilized, that it hasn't seen the same "progress" that the rest of the country has been blessed with. Another favorite of mine, things can't be good in Wyoming, and UW is so rural that certainly you can't get an education there that is on par with other major universities throughout the country--this is absurd. Along with that, lets throw in the fact that UW is the cheapest or one of the cheapest universities in the nation. Therefore, many people think that it can't provide opportunities or an equal education than a school that costs four times as much. It doesn't really matter where you go, education is what you make of it. If you don't care about education you aren't going to get an education. Also, because we don't have the latest and greatest strip malls and shops, life here must really be a downer.

I know people are entitled to their own opinions. I myself have named off a couple places on this blog that I wouldn't like to live, but that is because I have lived there, or spent an extended amount of time there. I guess what bothers me the most about Wyoming is when I run into people that act like they know everything about this place. More often than not, this knowledge they claim to have is based on absolutely nothing. Wyoming is to them, a place where life isn't as fun, people aren't as fortunate, and where "progress" hasn't been made because it isn't filled to the brim with people. I can tolerate those opinions if someone has lived here, but if you have only driven through this state or spent one night in it, then you are lying to yourself if you think this way.

No comments: