Thursday, September 29, 2005

Picture New Orleans













I don't know how many of you saw this picture during all the Katrina coverage, but it got my attention perhaps more than others. In a situation, previously unknown to most Americans, and especially to the rest of the world, Americans were pushed to the edge of civility and beyond it. The most basic need, survival, was everyone's obsession. Prior to Katrina, I think that most Americans had only seen this desperation enacted on a stage or in a movie, and for a week it was real news. I don't have any point to make, mostly I wanted to put this picture up here so people could see it if they hadn't already. There were thousands of images coming out of this disaster, but this is profoundly honest humanity, and that is hard to find.

No comments: