Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Health - The Statistics

A couple of weeks ago I set out to do this post on my health. I ended up with a colossal post, but one that covered too broad a spectrum. I ended up with chapters instead of paragraphs.

So, the first installment of a new series of posts on my health debacle is going to feature mostly numbers. Here are the stats:

1 - Average number of doctor appointments in a six-month period, prior to this sickness

23 – Appointments I had from October 10, 2007 to March 6, 2008. The actual number of appointments is probably higher because some days I would go in for a routine visit and then have the doctor schedule another appointment later in the day…mostly blood work.

10 – Different doctors that I saw

7 – Vials of blood drawn

1 – CT Scan

2 – MRIs – One without contrast, one with contrast

4 – X-rays

1 – Echocardiogram

6 – Drugs

1 – Hearing test

0 – Diagnoses

The last number really is my favorite. After all that, what I can’t tell you is what made me sick. Instead of trimming the list of possible diagnoses, each appointment seemed to broaden the many ways I could experience pain, suffering, and death.

Throughout, I have gone back to October 8th—the beginning. I’ve ran through the events of that day and that weekend countless times trying to pin down a possible culprit of this scary and expensive adventure. Like I said not too long ago, I believe it might have been Lyme disease because of all my matching symptoms, but we will never know for sure. I was also in a heavily forested area the day before my headache set in and I could have easily picked up a tick. I was tested for the Lyme antibody earlier this year and it was negative. However, prior to having that round of blood work done, I was told that the test for the Lyme antibody is often inconclusive, meaning it can be negative but still the patient can show symptoms of Lyme disease.

Coming soon:

Thoughts on the health care I received, faith, death, finances, and my miraculous comeback from a disease that took me to the precipice of eternity and back again.

That last part was a joke, but really, I am doing much better and am very healthy by all accounts.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Very interesting. I'll be back soon with some mental health stuff. Always tag teaming it.

And yes, it really is bullshit that doctors get to charge you whether anything concrete happens or not.