Friday, April 25, 2008

Diminishing Returns

Once again, the hope I hold for Obama reaching the White House is dwindling.

Another primary has passed where Hillary won by just enough (in her mind) to justify staying in the race. By the way, the final margin between the two candidates in Pennsylvania was 9.2%.

The longer Hillary stays in, the longer she will attack the true front runner in her party, thus giving Republican focus groups more fodder for attack ads and more material for Limbaugh, Hannity, and O’Reilly. I used to love O’Reilly, but I tuned in last night and couldn’t even bring myself to watch more than one minute of the man as he railed on Obama for the issues that don’t matter—Wright, the Weather Underground, Obama’s bitter comments, etc. And then these people on TV go on to talk about how Obama is not vetted. They must be kidding. I truly can’t remember the last time I heard a criticism of Obama on FOX, CNN, and MSNBC that was related to one of his policies.

I guess I see the machine really picking up speed now and it makes me feel hopeless. It is a machine determined to not let Obama become the POTUS. I don’t know all of the fuel that the machine runs on, but it is clear it is partly made up of paranoia of the black man, the aversion of Obama (a man with the middle name Hussein), Islamophobia, and the simple thought of a Democratic White House.

It is one big machine. And we need to stare it down.


For what it is worth, I am trying to. One of the only ways I know how to is by writing here, but soon I might know one other way because I recently applied to be a full-time volunteer for the Obama campaign this summer.

1 comment:

Aaron said...

Damn son. Really? That's sweet. I want to hear a lot more about this.