Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The First Days

Okay. I probably shouldn't be writing. I should be sleeping, but I just wanted to let you all know how it is going so far. There are four teams of volunteers in the Milwaukee area. My team has been assigned to the northwest region of Milwaukee. This is sort of unfortunate because it is a long way from my home, about a 24 mile drive to the offices. It is also going to be a very challenging part of the community to be in. First, I don't know anyone there. Second, every other person I asked to register as a voter on Sunday said they couldn't because "they're still on papers", meaning they are still serving part of their sentence for committing a felony.

The days are long, much longer than I expected. Every day starts no later than 9:30 and the day ends around 8-9 after calling potential volunteers. There are formally no scheduled days off. The biggest goal each of us have for the first two weeks is to hold two house meetings for Obama by the 28th. We need to find hosts for these meetings and get at least 20 people to each meeting. That's a lot of commitment.

I don't know how much I'll be writing during the next six weeks, but I do plan on keeping some sort of updates on this blog. If the thoughts and the stories don't come now, or in the next six weeks, I can guarantee they'll be up here in the following weeks. There are already so many stories, like the car chase that blasted by me today while I was in front of the office making phone calls. Yeah. That was fun.

Anyway. I am going to get some ice cream and watch Jon Stewart and crash.

2 comments:

Jarrod Renaud said...

Breyers?

Becca said...

Sounds like a challenge! I'm sure you're going to do great.