Sunday, February 10, 2008

Grammy Randomness

I’ll never make sense of the mainstream music industry.

Yes, I am watching the Grammys, live-blogging them I guess. How lame.

What did Rihanna just do on stage? I am clueless. Who was dancing and singing with her? They probably are Grammy winners. Some would say I should know them, but I don’t. Frankly, they suck.

I will never work in the music industry. I’ve never wanted too, but still, I’m watching this and trying to understand it and the whole thing feels like an inside joke, not as big as an inside joke as the MTV VMAs seemed to be, but still often confusing and over the top.

Right now, there is a woman in a red dress having a Grand mal seizure while she is being suspended with ropes above the stage. Apparently, this is a tribute to the Beatles. I feel like I get the Beatles, but I don’t get this tribute to them. Who thinks of this crap? Most of the people in the audience have to be wondering the same thing. Maybe not. I suppose a lot of them are trying to find the beauty and the art in it because it must be there, after all, it is the Grammys. Finally, a voice in this tribute. I don’t know who this boy is (he does look like he is 15) but I’ve enjoyed listening to him more than most of the performers so far tonight.

I know Miley Cyrus is the daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus. I learned this just the other night, but what does she do? I saw her name on the bestsellers list on iTunes today. She must sing. News to me. Update: Miley Cyrus is Hannah Montana. Also news to me. I just learned this on Wikipedia.

It’s really too bad Amy Winehouse won an award. I shouldn’t care, but from what I’ve seen and heard of her, a Grammy is the last thing she needs. I saw some pictures of her in USA Today a couple of weeks ago. What I’m about to tell you may shock you all, but Winehouse used to be good looking. She looks legit in these pictures. I will post pictures of her later. I have to.

I’m 40 minutes into this and I have only seen one artist on stage that I like, Alicia Keys. There might be some other good artists on soon. I think Foo Fighters is going to perform. I like them. I wish Foo Fighters stopped yelling in there songs so much. I enjoy their singing more.

Wisconsin’s primary is February 19. I think Barack Obama’s commercials made their local debut today. This isn’t related to the Grammys, only that I just saw a commercial of his on CBS, the network hosting the Grammys.

Whoa. Kanye West’s crazy sunglasses are battery powered and his deejays look like they are straight out of Tron.

Ah. John Legend. I like John Legend. He seems to be an odd partner for Fergie in this performance. Can you picture Legend breaking out into a rendition of “My Humps”?

Ringo is short.

Now I’ve destroyed untold number of brain cells by watching the Grammys for 58 minutes. My patience for these shenanigans dies hard. There is something better to do.

No comments: