Monday, January 29, 2007

War Breeds Road Rage, And Much More

Here is the most recent comment on my blog, or the only one not left by Rachel:

"And you wonder WHY we're hated there? Note: the horn was fake and added later. Nobody looked up or at the humvee. Not the guy picking his nose, not anyone else including the child, nobody in the cars..."

First, I don't wonder why we're hated there. I know some like us, but whether this video is a fake or not, it doesn't take much to realize why we are hated in Iraq by some.

Second, I suppose this video could be fake, but to make a point, I never once thought to myself while watching it, or pondering it later on, there is no way that happens over in Iraq. We are corrupted by war and conflict. When we find ourselves in the turmoil of our age we do things, mean things, that we never thought we would do. War doesn't make people courteous. If it did, every country would have their own overseas occupation going on.

A video on YouTube is not proof that something happened. In this case, I am guilty of believing it is, but I don't feel guilty for believing what I saw on that video is entirely possible given the circumstances of our presence and prolonged occupation of Iraq.

No comments: