Tuesday, August 12, 2008

There is no proper adjective for this.

It was dark in the room except one promising point of light—the TV. Kate was asleep. I was awake, watching the Olympics into the middle of the night and one event had kept me up all night long. The 400 Free Relay. One of the weak links in Phelps’ quest for eight golds.

I tried to stay quiet, but once Lezak (who is 32 by the way!) started closing I sat up in bed and started clapping and yelling. I woke Kate up and probably scared her a lot. There was no containing my excitement. I pointed and laughed at the French. They said they were going to trash the Americans. Well…they didn’t.

That relay was the most amazing swimming event I have ever seen on TV or in person. Phelps’ victory yell was exactly like his celebration following the 800 Free Relay in Athens in 2004.

Lezak’s comeback was pure magic. The man is ancient in swimming years. He trains by himself. 46.06! That’s not an easy time to match when you are swimming in a pool 25 yards long.

I could not get enough of the speechless French team and Bernard, still in the water, shell shocked that an old man ran him down.

It took me a long time to fall asleep after that relay. I felt like I had just run a sprint. Eventually, I fell asleep whispering amazing out loud over and over again.

Amazing.

2 comments:

Jarrod Renaud said...

true that. it was exciting! and i have no clue about anything when it comes to swimming but that was crazy!

Rachel L. said...

That was insane...you better believe I was screaming too! The relays are awesome. Last night was pretty damn sick too. Under 7:00min?!?!?!

Wow...