Monday, August 11, 2008

The No Spin Zone

For 275 meters of the relay last night I could barely keep my eyes open. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't like I was so excited to watch I couldn't keep my eyes open. I was getting so angry I couldn't keep my eyes open. I was breathing heavily and like most of us, I saw the writing on the wall. We weren't going to win this one and the media was going to explode. "Phelps' Gold Medal Quest Falls Short." Or, "Eight is not so Great to Phelps."

I was worried for the man (Phelps) because if the relay team finished second last night it would be a national day of mourning today for most of the sports world and definitely for NBC. You can't watch one hour of their coverage without hearing about Phelps' quest to best Spitz's record of 7 golds. Although it is one of Phelps' goals to do that, the media has made it into a do or die story. I just wish that Phelps' quest could have been kept on the down low so it didn't get blown out of proportion by every single media outlet across the world.

Anyway, I'm not saying he's not going to do it, but if for some reason he finished second in a relay or gets touched out in the 200 free or 100 fly, Phelps' Beijing journey will somehow be spun into a disappointment. I really want Phelps to get eight, but just as much as I want him to get eight, I don't want the media to have that chance.

No comments: