Sunday, October 08, 2006

An Update

Today, I finished my fourth week of work for Starbucks. Right now, Starbucks and I don’t have a long future. I have committed to work through the end of the year. I need the money so bad I need to be working. Whether that will be with Starbucks until June, I don’t know, but I will be employed by some company until then. I am tempted to boot up an intense job search in late November.

Kate is living in Fort Collins with the grandparents for two weeks. Having her live here has spoiled both of us, evidenced by making it hard to say goodbye tonight even if we are going to see each other on Wednesday. We plan to see the new Martin Scorsese movie, The Departed, that night. Our wedding is June 23, 2007. If you are invited, it will be great to see you. If you aren’t, well, that means we are saving Kate’s parents over $40. There will not be more than 220 invited to the wedding. There won’t be a blanket invitation to church members, something I am pleased about. Kate and I have never been concerned about sharing this moment in our lives with our outer circle of friends and acquaintances. The inner circle is what I want to see at our wedding. Either way, finalizing a guest list is a pain in the arse.

I have been reading Strunk and White’s Elements of Style for the last week. This is sort of sad because the book is less than one hundred pages, but punctuation, grammar, and gerunds, don’t make for a page-turner. I bought Bob Woodward’s new book, State of Denial, last week. I am eager to read it, but I haven’t had some time to sit down and read beyond the introduction yet. Recently, Woodward has been in magazines, in newspapers, on radio, and on television because of his claims in the book. From what I understand, the current administration at first denied that a meeting, described in the book by Woodward, didn’t happen, or that Condi wasn’t there. Later that same day, I believe, the administration reversed that statement and did say that this meeting did occur on, or around, July 10, 2001. Also, Woodward has received criticism for using on-the-record interviews for this book even though the interviews were conducted for different stories in the past. Lately, Woodward appeared on Meet the Press and said that Cheney expressed anger and disappointment with Woodward’s use of an on-the-record interview in his new book. Cheney said this was “bullshit”. What does he expect? Once you are on the record, you are on the record. C’mon Cheney, Cowboy Up.

Not that any of you care, but the penultimate race of the Formula One season was today. Michael Schumacher has announced that this is his last season. Going into today’s race he was tied with Fernando Alonso, 23, of Spain. Schumacher was a few laps from victory in the Japanese Grand Prix when his engine blew up. This was the first Ferrari engine malfunction in six years or something like that. Alonso cruised to an easy win and most likely the driver’s championship. With only the Brazilian Grand Prix left in two weeks, Schumacher will have to finish first and Alonso will have to finish lower than eighth in order for the veteran to finish on top. Alonso has hundreds of Formula One races ahead of him, but I want the Legend to finish on top.

No comments: