Thursday, May 25, 2006

Phys Ed and Idol

I have to admit that this is getting a little boring for me...this series on courses. When I am away from my computer, or even recently sitting at it I have found myself turned off by the idea of blogging because I know that I promised myself to finish this before I continue on in the direction I was going, whatever that was.

PEAC 1001 - Health - This was a worthless course. I don't see the value in having a P.E. course in gen. ed. at a university--nevertheless, it does exist. Having been an athlete, I was allowed to skip out on the required activity with a notice from the athletic department. If I wasn't allowed to skip out on it I was going to choose lap swimming. That would have been a joke. This course was a series of boring lectures that you had the option of testing out of in the first week. I tried. I performed miserably, as expected, and did very well in the rest of the course. This isn't saying anything at all, given everyone in the university has to take it, and it is freshman level.

PEAC 2010 - Varsity Swimming - Honestly, I don't even know what this is. Somewhere along the way I was given half of a credit for swimming on the UW team. This was not a course, the half-credit just came out of nowhere and appeared on my on-course report. However, there is a problem. If the university is going to award credit for this, why not tack on four credits? To give an athlete that half-credit is a slap in the face. They should award credits equivalent to one course, or nothing at all.

When I signed on to MSN tonight I saw an article on the American Idol winner. I didn't care; too many of us do.

1 comment:

Rachel L. said...

i agree. half a credit is lame!