Saturday, April 22, 2006

The U.S. of A.

Americans don't know how to dress. I am walking through O'Hare and I can't stop staring at what some people are wearing. One guy stands out above the rest. He is maybe 35 but looks 45 probably due to smoking. He has a mullet, you know the big, layered, unkept kind of hair that was really prevalent in the 80s and early 90s. His top is a faded MOPAR drag race t-shirt accompanied by a pair of old jeans.

Okay. I was spoiled with well dressed Londoners for three months...what can I say? It isn't just Londoners though. Parisians look well kept. Israelis kick our but in fashion sense too. Don't get me wrong, I know it is not a competition, but it is amazing how someone's wardrobe can improve their look. Now you can argue, well it would just be boring if everyone dressed the same. I would say you are wrong in assuming this. There are a plethora of styles in London and none of them looked as trashy as what I saw in O'Hare on Monday, and none of them looked the same as the other.

This should come as no surprise to some of you. Americans like doing things their own way. Whether it is politics, sports, business, using English units, or dress, we are really into each other and most just don't care about how things are elsewhere in the world. Yes, we are the United States of America. Yes, we might be the only true superpower left on the planet, but we will never be above the rest of the world, no matter how many Americans think we are. I wish for the Midwestern American wardrobe to get some serious humility training quick.

Did I mention we are really fat too? I don't think I did, but that is another story.

No comments: