Thursday, April 27, 2006

This Isn't Objective Writing

Following my recent lapse of not liking the real world I am still feeling the same way. However, I am making steps, or progress if you want to call it that, toward finding jobs, and most importantly toward having one.

It really isn't late, but I am tired and I got on here and felt like writing something before I went to bed...even if it isn't themed. That is the problem with my writing on a blog. I feel like I have to have a theme always. I feel if I don't write in some sort of argumentative way that the writing is crap and no one is going to want to read it. I am sometimes successful in truly writing down what comes to mind and not giving a care if I give the pros and cons along the way, but most of the time not. Of course, I was trained to write in an argumentative/persuasive style for the last four years. Objective writing is for journalism majors, not english majors, at least that is what people say. Anyway, that does hold true for most writing. By no means am I calling anything on this site a beautiful argument for or against someone or something.

The TV use has been minimal since I have returned to the States but I was pleased, no, ecstatic to find the second leg of the Arsenal v. Villa Real match-up in the UEFA Semifinals on ESPN2 yesterday. You probably don't care about the outcome, but I did. Arsenal won on aggregate thanks to Lehman's amazing save on a penalty kick. While I was over in London I read a fascinating article regarding the number of kids that play soccer in America. The number is huge! However, those kids reach a certain age and they just drop off the soccer/football radar. The author blamed this on the lack of American interest in anything that wasn't born, raised, and bred in America. I thought he had a pretty solid argument, but there is no denying that soccer is not in the public eye over here and, naturally, many people want to be in that spotlight and they abandon, or rather at a young stage their parents abandon soccer for them and push them along to more Americanized sports. The spotlight is on them now, but what is the rush to abandon the soccer ship? Not everyone is going to be the quarterback of the football team.

1 comment:

Rachel L. said...

That is funny you mentioned that game, I TOTALLY WATCHED IT! Real kinda blew it eh?