Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Unjoy of Graduation

I smile and nod and force out a "Yes, it's awesome" when people tell me how great it must be to have finally graduated from college.

I am here to tell you it isn't all that great right now. I have an English Major. Where do English Majors go if they don't go right off to get their MA, PhD, and to teach? Wherever that might be, that is where I am going and I am not looking forward to it. It might be descending into the depths of poverty, the likes of which I have never known, and it might not entail such extreme economic changes, at least not that soon. Graduating college without a title like doctor, pharmacist, or engineer is losing all your lifelines at once. If you don't have any idea what you are going to do next, like myself, the future doesn't look all that grand.

College was great and I feel guilty and pathetic for wishing I was starting it all over again right now.

1 comment:

Rachel L. said...

Patience young grasshopper, patience. God has a mighty plan for you.