Friday, May 29, 2009

Politics again...

The same person that got me to write about Sotomayor is responsible for getting me to write about the California Supreme Court’s decision to uphold Proposition 8.

I think it was right to uphold Proposition 8. As unpopular as Prop 8 is with the people that didn’t want it to pass, it still legally passed. The voice of the people (in this case, the majority) should not be overturned. If Proposition 8 was overturned, the consequences would have been huge. To not uphold the proposition would be to nullify 7,001,084 votes. California would have over half the voting bloc ready to take to the streets and cause riots and whatnot. This would not be good.

I am happy that the 18,000 gay marriages that happened before Prop 8 passed will still be recognized by California. This is absolutely the right and fair thing to do. Now those opposed to gay marriage will just have to hope and pray that the 18,000 legally married gay couples in California won’t be enough to banish the state to break from the mainland and float out to see to be sucked down to hell.

My hope is that this will be the last time I blog about gay marriage.  It is a topic I (up until now) never touched on here. 

No comments: