Sunday, February 22, 2009

Why Do I Watch?

I’m watching the Oscars tonight. I always watch the Oscars. I missed them in 2006 because I was not in the country, but I remember a group of students from Southern California boasting the next day about Crash’s big win. In years past I haven’t always known why I was watching the Oscars. So, I am making a list.

Reasons I Watch the Oscars (In no particular order.)

1. I love movies.

2. The show gives me ideas for movies to rent and movies to see in the theater.

3. I think the host is usually funny. I enjoy the anticipation surrounding the host’s first monologue. Is it going to be spectacular, hopefully including some jokes about the hubris of movie stars? Is he or she going to flub it? I watch tonight to see how extraordinarily awkward the awards show will be with Hugh Jackman hosting. When I first heard he would host I thought it was a cruel joke. What!? No Jon Stewart. No Billy Crystal. No Whoopi. Please, anyone but an actor.

4. Modesty usually goes right out the window at the Oscars, creating some awkward situations. Possible weird moment tonight: When Kate Winslet wins for The Reader. There will be one surprised person in the room…her.

5. It’s a competition. Over the year I become a fan of a particular movie. If one of those movies is awarded with nominations, I am going to watch to see if it wins any. It’s like watching the Super Bowl of movies.

6. To be somewhat familiar with pop culture.

7. To see what the celebrities are wearing and to listen to flamboyant commentators tear apart a woman’s gown or praise a man’s tuxedo choice.

That’s it, I guess. I don’t suspect to be surprised by any winner tonight. Here are a few predictions.

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Director: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire

Best Actor: Sean Penn, Milk

Best Actress: Kate Winslet, The Reader

Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Penelope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Best Documentary: Man On Wire

Best Foreign Language Film: Waltz with Bashir

Best Animated Film: Wall-E

Almost time to watch a few squirmy red carpet interviews before the show starts.

1 comment:

Rachel L. said...

All the categories I saw you guessed correctly!! Nice work. I have to see Slumdog Millionaire.