Thursday, September 04, 2008

RNC's 9/11 Tribute

There are classy tributes to 9/11, and then there are the types of tributes like the one shown at the RNC tonight. Showing no caution, the RNC video featured clips of the attacks in progress...people dying. Planes flying into towers. Towers falling.

My jaw dropped. Are they really stooping this low? I think their choice to show these clips is a direct exploitation of those who died that day. Also, this is an attempt at evoking emotions from that day that are better left forgotten because they lead to kneejerk reactions. We don't need those emotions in order to move the country forward. And we don't need to see the planes flying into the buildings and the buildings falling in order to honor the fallen.

I saw this clip when I was watching MSNBC. After it ended some talking heads went off for a while, but before they cut to commercial Keith Olbermann went off the record and called that video a disgrace. It was a great commentary on a very low point of the RNC's platform. I'll keep my eye out for the YouTube of the moment and put it up here soon.

No comments: