Thursday, September 04, 2008

Giuliani was right, only in America

There were some big names on the docket last night at the RNC. I decided to tune in and somehow managed to not karate chop the coffee table in half, snap the remote over my knee, or step in front of the Amtrak. It was lie after bad joke after lie after mockery after lie. I just couldn't help thinking during all of the Obama and left-wing-bashing speeches, that they are doing what they have always criticized Obama for doing, not talking about the issues. Oh, wait. They did talk about drilling and how McCain is not going to raise taxes. I've got news for you concerning the latter, but I'll hold off for now.

Trying to be objective as possible, last night's smorgasbord of speeches was decidedly more negative and less "a new kind of politics" than any night at the DNC. Aside from a portion of Biden's speech and all of Kucinich's speech, the DNC was a relatively friendly gathering.

A couple links for you...

The McCain campaign has recently taken to citing Palin's experience as commander of the Alaska National Guard. This just in...Official: Palin's never issued an order to Alaska Guard.

On that mystical McCain/Palin reform. This isn't research, just a good comment.

Oh yeah, Mitt Romney criticizing east-coast elitism. Laughable.

And Giuliani's only in America.

Sullivan's live-blogging of Palin's speech. Priceless.
11.05 pm. Every time the camera pans to McCain's mother, she seems mortified. I don't really blame her. Can you imagine what she was thinking as a tiny special needs baby is passed from person to person for the cable news.
Sullivan says the low point for him was Giuliani's mockery of the first African-American presidential nominee. That was definitely low, but the low for me was Giuliani and Palin mocking Obama's time as a community organizer. I won't deny it, community organizer is a vague term, but people who don't know the duties of a community organizer should not throw the term around so easily. I can now say from firsthand experience, being a community organizer is not easy. It is more than a full-time job. It is dirty work. It is hard work. And several times throughout the day the community organizer gets discouraged and asks himself, "What the hell am I doing here?" Almost every day I was out there this summer I thought I don't think I'd be doing this if I just graduated in the top of my class from Harvard Law. But that's what Obama did. He he has honor on his side too.

No comments: