Wednesday, September 03, 2008

The Church Search, part deux

I am 25 and never in my life, until this last year, have I gone to church so infrequently. I never expected the church search to be so hard, especially in Milwaukee, a city pretty much equal to the size of Denver.

I think we've tried close to ten churches. Most of them were quite scary because of their massive, cult-like feel. A lot were way too conservative for us, with websites that went out of their way to lambast homosexuality and the idea of women in leadership roles to preachers that claimed from the pulpit that global warming is one of the greatest hoaxes of all time. We weren't looking for any of this.

I thought our checklist was pretty simple...

Talented musicians/singers behind the mics and guitars and drums.

Younger, 20-something congregation.

Down to earth message that is first loving and accepting to anyone that comes through the doors. And a message we can relate to.

And a church with some humility. A church that right from the start presents itself as incomplete, lacking, imperfect, and focuses on the radical Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Okay, so the last qualifier isn't that simple. Regardless, I can say with some certainty that we have finally found such a place in Milwaukee. This past Sunday was our third time worshiping there. The church is Epikos. If you are inclined, their website can be found by clicking here.

And another bonus...there is no Personnel and Administration Committee.

2 comments:

Rachel L. said...

Yay congrats! The website looks cool!

mjonthemove said...

Hey Bryce. Congrats. I lived on Danny's floor in college. You'll have to tell him I say hi.