Friday, September 19, 2008

The Laramie Project

Most people have never heard of the University of Wyoming or, for that matter, the State of Wyoming. If they have any supposed familiarity with the town of Laramie, Wyoming, it is because of the murder of Matthew Shepard nearly 10 years ago. But I say 'supposed' because to know the story of Matthew Shepard is not to know the story of Laramie.

I think this NY Times piece misrepresents the Laramie I know. Although I know nothing about being gay in Laramie, I do know that while I was there for four and a half years I didn't hear or see any discrimination against gays that I have not seen elsewhere in more "progressive" parts of the country.

And while a part of me thinks it is strange that there is no formal memorial to Matthew Shepard in Laramie, another part completely understands why there isn't one. Laramie was inundated by the media for weeks after the killing and later the story was immortalized by the play "The Laramie Project." And, even later, by a movie of the same name. While the rest of the world has become "familiar" with Laramie and Wyoming, the town itself has fought back and has tried for years to eradicate the stigma that can come with such a story.

This approach, by Laramie residents, is perceived to be disrespectful. I don't see it that way. There is a lot more to Laramie than a story about a gay college student being beaten to death. Wisely enough, Laramie has moved on, highlighting Wyoming's real selling points, because it knew the media never would.

No comments: