Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Jesus Camp, the movie

I don’t really know what to say about this film. Like so many documentaries it is disturbing, but the why is usually different. So, why? Why did I find this particular film disturbing?

It is disturbing because Levi, a 13-year-old at best, committed his life to Christ at the age of five because his life, he says, was empty and he found no fun in any childhood games.

…Because one leader speaks of Harry Potter as if he is the devil incarnate. I almost agree, but not for religious reasons. This lady says that Harry Potter should die. She goes on to warn kids of witchcraft, as seen in the Potter films, and says it is the devil’s work.

…Because many kids are seen crying out desperately like their life has run aground and is empty. They are displaying a level of agony and pain that a kid just shouldn’t be experiencing. By what I can tell, many kids featured in the movie have been brainwashed into a faith, that adults tell them they “need”, without any level of self discovery involved.

…Because most of them are educated at home. Their parents teach them that science doesn’t prove anything, any level of evolution is a hoax, and that global warming is a scam.

…Because many of the Christians in the film equate following in Jesus’ footsteps to voting Republican. It is not about voting Republican or Democrat.

…Because I think I am more tolerant than the people featured in the movie, but then I catch myself being extremely critical of them.

…Because I don’t know how to approach a Christian like this because I don’t feel like they would respect the way I follow Jesus.

…Because my approach, I feel, would only further their cause and conviction that my Christianity is weak and insignificant because it is devoid of convulsing on the ground, declaring war on God’s enemies, and speaking in tongues.

…And, above all, because they are kids. They need to find the truth themselves.

No comments: