Sunday, April 22, 2007

Oh the glory of it all

In the wake of the Virginia Tech shooting I wanted to write. I didn’t know what to write, but I wrote anyway. I didn’t like it. Actually, I deleted it. My words were completely hollow. And reading a thousand other reactions helped me realize I didn’t have anything to say that would bring some perspective or emotion to the event that hadn’t already been brought. I discovered that writing nothing was the best thing I could do. I will continue to not do my own dissection of the event and all the side stories, but I couldn’t keep from writing TIME a letter today.

I was pleased to see that TIME chose to honor the victims of the Virginia Tech shootings with the cover, but upon reading the inside of the magazine it quickly became evident to me that TIME didn't continue that theme. Cho Seung-Hui gets more ink than any one of the victims. While Cho gets a photo spread and endless commentary that reports the obvious, the victims get a sidebar. Cho's multimedia package that NBC received was his grasp for glory. TIME, just like NBC, followed suit and gave it to him.

No comments: