Friday, December 02, 2005

One English Class - Starring Herb and Lenny

New blog template. What do you think?

English 2050 - Creative Writing: Fiction - I could write a blog on this class and the material I wrote during it. I took this class last year, my fourth year at UW, and it was my first venture into creative writing. All the students were required to keep a journal and respond to short stories we read in class, or to our own writing quandaries. I wrote about whatever was in my mind when I sat down to write. Many of the journal entries have made it onto this blog. I spent a lot of time writing about my roommates and gave them surnames. This was my first experience living with people outside of my family so, naturally, I had a lot on my mind regarding the living situation. I will end this blog with an entry from the journal I have been writing about. This entry has never made it onto the blog. And for those of you that knew who my roommates were last year you will just have to guess who is who. If you have heard me talk about last year at all I think you might be able to pin these fellas down. My professor read every one of these entries.

11 October 2004

Herb and I were getting ready for school this morning. (That makes us sound like we are twelve again.) I was standing out in the hallway brushing my teeth when I heard a familiar rattle coming from Lenny's room. I stepped closer to the door, aware that my shadow from underneath the door might give away my presence on the other side...I didn't care. Again, the rattle sound, but this time it was rhythmic. A high chirp with a metal ping at the end came from the other side of the door with an occasional yelp from Lenny's girl. I wasn't really that shocked, because I know Lenny very well, but this was new to me--sex in the morning, at 8:40, when Lenny's girl has class in twenty minutes?

I turned up the hallway and strode out into the kitchen and gave Herb a muffled, "they are doing it," while trying not to spit toothpaste everywhere.

Herb walked down the hallway to the second door on the left. The rhythm seeped through the door and Herb just shook his head.

We finished prepping for our bicycle ride to campus. While walking toward the door I sent an expecting glance to Herb. I knew we weren't making it out the door in silence. My glance let Herb know he was up first.

"By Fuckers!" Herb yelled.

I gave a slight giggle and thought to myself about what Herb yelled, it was literally true, he didn't mean it as an insult and neither would I. It was just too darn accurate. It was my turn now and I thought of saying have a good day at first, but I needed a sexual twist with a little bit of dirty.

"Have a good hump."

2 comments:

Rachel L. said...

Not gonna lie....took some getting used to. "Have a good hump" thats halarious hahaha

Collin said...

My roomate thinks I'm wired for laughing at my computer screen. I think he's wierd for thinking I'm wierd. This blog nearly made me wet myself (no pun intended).