Thursday, April 14, 2005

Wal-Mart's Knocking

I shall express my malcontent with Walmart. The frustration runs deep. I came to Laramie with a strong distaste for the store. Laramie is proof of the monopoly that store has on our lives. It doesn't just affect those that choose to call Walmart their home for every service, trinket, or gallon of milk.

As long as I have known Walmart a horrible smell has accompanied that memory. The store is never clean. The buzzing, white tube lighting overhead makes the brown and black grime patches on the floor stick out. Is it a requirement to look like death warmed over before you shop in Walmart? I know it isn't now, but seriously, before I came to Laramie for school the answer was a decisive, YES!

People rely too much on this store. Could they sacrifice ten dollars a month and shop elsewhere? It's tru that some can't sacrifice any amount, but are they really saving more at Walmart? Certainly, not their dignity. Walmart sucks you in with their despicable motto, "Always Low Prices. Always." This comforts the average consumer. They think Walmart will always be cheaper and it will always have more variety because it is a "Supercenter", and super implies superiority, so let us act upon that as consumers and never go to another store for the rest of our lives.

After all this ranting and raving I will enter a guilty plea. I do shop at Walmart when I need to. I love supporting Safeway and Albertsons, but every so often I will buy something at Walmart because I am in Laramie--there is no other choice. I take pride in the fact that I haven't been to a Walmart outside of the Supercenter in Laramie for over two years. And after I am exported, following my graduation, just like the rest of the students at the University of Wyoming (Wyoming's greatest export), I plan on never stepping foot inside another Walmart store again.

So I close with Walmart's new mantra, Walmart, Always White Trash. Always.

2 comments:

Nick Danger said...

I have come to peace with Walmart. For better or worse its here to stay. I think someday in the future people will long for the day when we had superstores. The children who are growing up now are forming thier childhood memories. Walmart, Spongebob, Playststion will all be part of the fond memories. I used to wish my kids could experince The Smurfs, or the other cartoons and toys I enjoyed when I was young. I hated Spongebob. I thought it was poorly drawn and my kids were being cheated of thier right to quality memories. Then one day I was in the room while they were watching it. A big bully type fish sat right on Spongebob. Spongebob said "Excuse me... your sitting on my body... which is also my face". I laughed out loud. It was then that I began to realize that things are diffrent for every generation. If you think we have it bad seeing the demise of the small town store, consider the generation who witnessed the advent of television. I saw a speical on the History Channel where some gal was complaining about this new invention of television. She was saying "Now, it's hard to get people together to play bridge or have ice cream". They must have thought the world was going down the crapper. Who's to say if they were wrong or right?

Your blog is well written I have enjoyed reading. Thank you for posting.

Anonymous said...

Well spoken Bryce!!!