Saturday, April 23, 2005

The State of Wyoming

Prior to my attending the University of Wyoming, I didn't have any affiliation with this state. Actually, I don't even remember if I had any knowledge about this state, other than it being the home to Yellowstone.

I can't even remember thinking about Wyoming. It was a great big piece of land that I drove through a few times to get to California or Washington. Wyoming, a place so big, and so close, only occupied a sliver of my thoughts, or none at all.

If someone asked me what I thought about Wyoming when I was in high school, I would have probably been critical of the state. I had been there for a family vacation, and once for a swim meet in elementary. And I probably only affiliated the state with Matthew Shephard, as many people still do.

Someone suggested that I go to the University of Wyoming to further my swimming career, and of course to get an education. At a time I was ready to give up a large portion of my life, swimming, in order to avoid that great expanse just north of me.

Wyoming has proven me wrong. I found out I was full of misconceptions, but I would have never known this if I didn't come to this place. Laramie and Wyoming didn't win me over immediately, but each year I have returned, the people of Wyoming and UW have held a greater place in my heart.

The most unattractive place I could think of four years ago has snatched away a piece of my heart that I am not going to take back. It's going to stay here, where I found more of myself, friends, family, and a peace that can only be found in a place like this.

No comments: