Friday, April 22, 2005

12:00 a.m., Thursday, May 19, 2005

May 19, 1999. I was a sophomore in high school and I was unable to see the midnight showing of the first Star Wars film in 16 years. The Phantom Menace came out in the middle of the week. I couldn't camp out and ditch school. However, I had friends that took more drastic measures to win their ticket to the midnight showing. Dan decided to streak through the line of tents that were set up in a vacant lot next to the movie theater. Star Wars geeks had assembled there almost a week in advance to get their midnight tickets. Dan sported a white cape and shoes. On the back of the cape in bold black lettering was written White Lightning. He was successful in his streak and someone in my geography class was kind enough to record the event and play it back in class the next day. I had to wait until Friday night to see Episode I.

May 16, 2002. I was a freshman in college. With two finals on the morning of the 16th, and not living in a town which had a midnight showing, I was destined to be denied once again the joy of seeing a Star Wars movie with other bona fide geeks. I had to wait one more day until I was done with finals and moving back home to see Episode II. I saw it the first Friday it was out at 10:35 p.m. with one of my great friends, Trey. We started the line for that show at 6:30 p.m. much to the surprise of the theater's employees. I admit, I was being selfish that day. I wanted to be the first in line. I didn't want to be shafted twice, with not being able to get the prime seats in the house.

May 19, 2005. I am a senior in college. Finals are done before Episode III hits the big screen. Finally, I will be able to see the midnight showing of the missing chapter in the Star Wars saga.

Writing this blog brings back fond Star Wars memories. I get goosebumps. I spent the summer of 1999 drinking a lot of Pepsi products because there were 24 collectible cans, each with a different character from Episode I on them. I got them all. All 24 cans, unopened and full, are stacked on a shelf in my room at home among other SW memorabilia. Below them rests a June 1983, LIFE magazine, with Return of the Jedi on the cover.

It has been a long time coming for this fanboy and what a way to go out with finally being able to see the last SW movie made at the midnight showing where the popcorn flows like water, the fans choreograph lightsaber battles in line, cheering is encouraged, and it's a standing room only when the 20th Century fanfare music starts the night off with a bang.

No comments: