Friday, August 31, 2007

I Heart Libraries

Today is a documentary day. Kate is at work until 10:30. I am at home with An Inconvenient Truth, Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, and Super Size Me.

Right now I am finally watching Super Size Me. Obesity was already under scrutiny before this movie, but this film must have put the fast food industry under even more pressure because it seems to be a lot of rehash to me. I think this is the case because I read most of The Omnivore’s Dilemma and because fast food, and its unhealthy side effects, has come under so much scrutiny that it is hard to go a week without seeing a report about said subject somewhere in the media.

I don’t know if he is going to make it all thirty days. It is day 21 and poor Mr. Spurlock is having heart pain and gaining layers of fat with each day. You can tell the poor bloke is seriously concerned about this experiment.

I knew it was coming. He is finally trying to contact McDonalds. This isn’t going to go well.

Wow. Day 27. He is going to make it. This is disgusting.

After 13 calls to McDonalds Mr. Spurlock is finally able to get a hold of a lady he was looking for. She isn’t helpful.

Day 30. He has made it to the last McSupper. He gained 24.5 pounds in this time.

After he was done it took him over a year, I think, to lose that weight.

The film was powerful, depressing, and it gives you a reason to detest regular consumption of McDonalds, if you didn’t have one already.

I want to know what Mr. Spurlock is doing now. He had some show about him doing something different for 30 days at a time. I haven’t seen a commercial for that show in well over a year. I don’t think that show was successful. This isn’t that surprising. Mr. Spurlock threw his whole life into this experiment. You can tell he is seriously concerned about the fast food industry and obesity. To expect the same effort and success in a television show covering, I assume, a wide range of subjects, is too much.

1 comment:

Rachel L. said...

That movie, Supersize me, was pretty profound. Makes me never want to eat fast food, ever, ever again.