Wednesday, December 06, 2006

London - 11 Feb 06

11 Feb 06

I finally got to see the changing of the guard today. It was memorable. I enjoyed seeing the guards and especially the pictures I was able to get. I got a great shot of myself next to the lone guard at St. James’ Palace. Every time I bring out the camera and get some pictures I get so excited about showing them off when I get back home. I will be able to put on quite the show with my pictures. I have one video of Trafalgar Square and then I took one today when the guard and the band marched by.


Kate arrives in 4 weeks and one day. We just got off the phone and it is a weird feeling to be this close to her arrival, but it is certainly not close enough to regularly anticipate her arrival. I will do my best to not think about how awesome it will be to have Kate here.


The roommates and I are going to another host’s home to have dinner tonight, should be interesting. I hope the food is good and maybe it will be cheap, or free? That would be excellent.

The changing of the guard was a great time. I was surprised to hear the band play all sorts of tunes from movies and musicals. They played the tune from Titanic. I wanted to leave right then. There was a huge crowd at Buckingham Palace that day. One boy near me got his head stuck in between the bars of the fence surrounding the palace. A mounted policewoman cleared the way for the fire department to get the boy unstuck. I think the boy wiggled out of the fence before anyone helped him. While the band plays the new guards stand at attention, or try to. One of them passed out and a couple of stiffly moving guards rushed to his aid.


The dinner I had on this night was one of the best I had while I was away from home. It was just a spaghetti dinner, but with some vegetables and garlic bread. I don’t even think I had to pay for any of it. The girls that cooked it up were all very nice and welcoming about having people over to the house they were staying at. The hosts were out of town.

My poor picture of Salisbury Cathedral in the last post does not do it justice. Actually, no picture does it justice. Go see it. United Airlines had a special sale today for nonstop flights to London from Denver for $175 each way. Hearing about that depressed me for a good part of the morning.


And about the pictures I took over there, it is funny, but I am sure I am not the only one that does this, but I foolishly expect people to be as fascinated with my pictures as I am. This is never the case. You see a picture of a church. I see my Sunday home. You see a picture of a street in London. I see a route I walked as much as I could because I loved every last bit about what I was doing with my life as I took those steps.

1 comment:

Rachel L. said...

I know what you mean about the pictures. I would love to see them. I had no idea London was THIS amazing! WOW! Pretty awesome opportunity you had there Bryce. Lucky duck!