Thursday, February 09, 2012

NY Times Missy Franklin Article

There's an interesting article in The New York Times about Missy Franklin, the 16-year-old swimming star from Denver. Franklin competes this weekend in the girls high school state championships. Here's an interesting quote from the article about that:
When Franklin won two individual events at last weekend’s league meet, the state meet felt the ripple effect. Tickets for the preliminary and finals sessions at the Edora Pool Ice Center, which seats roughly 1,000, quickly sold out. A line for the remaining tickets is expected to form outside in the freezing cold several hours before Friday’s 4 p.m. preliminaries and Saturday’s 2 p.m. finals. The meet will be televised by ESPN3 and covered by state and national media outlets.
And I literally was just thinking, oh, gosh, I should try to get a ticket for that before I read this paragraph. 


I had a random encounter with Franklin at my last job. I sold her a power adapter for an iPad and I think I embarrassed her a little when I just called her by name. I had instantly recognized her when she walked into the store. She's one of many swimmers I'm excited to watch this summer in Omaha and in London. Can't wait.

No comments: