Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Advancing Fear

Some people watch Oprah. Some people don’t. I fall into the latter category, but that hasn’t kept me from being fascinated by her show and by the host herself. I have my opinions, but last week’s cover story in Newsweek about Oprah’s show, spoke directly to a specific one.

I believe, and apparently other people do too, that Oprah will get behind and support, or at least consider, a lot of fanciful ideas, from vaginal injections to prolong a youthful look, to the idea that the MMR vaccination is linked to autism (an idea advanced by Jenny McCarthy despite any scientific evidence). A fact-based presentation seems to continually be overshadowed by the fear-based presentation, which, unfortunately, is the one that sells.

This is a very good read. Harsh. Witty. Fact-based. What will her comeback be?

No comments: