Sunday, May 13, 2007

6 Weeks....

I have to share with you some more Vonnegut.

Vonnegut’s lesson on creative writing is “do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you’ve been to college.”

How accurate. I think the only reason I have ever used a semicolon is because I wanted to use it, not because I had to. They really don’t do anything.

He continues…

And I realize some of you may be having trouble deciding whether I am kidding or not. So from now on I will tell you when I’m kidding. For instance, join the National Guard or the Marines and teach democracy. I’m kidding. We are about to be attacked by Al Qaeda. Wave flags if you have them. That always seems to scare them away. I’m kidding. If you really want to hurt your parents, and you don’t have the nerve to be gay, the least you can do is go into the arts. I’m not kidding.


Vonnegut says a lot more about war that is insanely true, but I have to go to bed. I am taking the G-Unit to the airport tomorrow morning. He is going to work in Pearlington, Mississippi for a week.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Holla for Glenn in Pearlington!

Collin said...

I'm realizing how much I use semicolons. I'm going to go ahead and try to put a stop to that.

Lots of love, Bryce. I will be praying for Glenn over the next week or so.