Monday, February 12, 2007

Wal-Mart Supercenter? Yes, please.

One can only hope that Longmont officials approve another Wal-Mart Supercenter. I want the sun to rise on another concrete park, bright lights, and a boxy Supercenter. I hope they put one in the proposed lot off of Highway 119. I hate when I am driving down to Denver in the morning and can see the sun rising. Dang it, I think, the sunshine is in my eyes, now why isn’t there a Wal-Mart there to block the beautiful view?

Often when I am driving into town I would love to stop in and buy some kitty litter for the cat. I can’t. The lack of a Wal-Mart on Highway 119 is keeping me from doing exactly that. Until there is a Wal-Mart there I can’t buy new kitty litter. The house is rank with dander and whatnot. Wal-Mart’s mission to give me the convenience of a Supercenter at every corner with kitty litter, and everything else you can buy on the face of the planet, is failing me.

I cry out in pain when I drive by that grass field on Highway 119. The City of Longmont put that beautiful park there, why don’t they bring the city out to the countryside? Maybe this Supercenter can have a McDonalds in it too, that way I can unleash on a 400-calorie double-cheeseburger instead of packing my own, healthy picnic at home.

Not enough mom-and-pop businesses have closed down in Longmont. Another Supercenter is exactly what we need to shut those places down. Have you looked at Main Street between 3rd Avenue and Longs Peak Avenue lately? What an eyesore. What were those people thinking back in the day when they put everything so close together, had aesthetics in mind, and an architect on the payroll? Wal-Mart is the superior business model. They build stores in two sizes, small and excellently obese, thus, allowing for no confusion. They save money by not having an architect on the payroll. And, they conveniently place their stores far away from everyone, making sure we can’t walk there and burn some calories like they did in the old days. How annoyingly primitive would that be?

Longmont is just too large to only have two Wal-Marts. The city is growing. People are making babies, I know, I have heard them. We must prepare for the future and cover what green fields we have now with pavement, tar, and potholes. The future of America is being born today and they will need a place to shop tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That is hilarious. I would be laughing outloud right now, but there are people in the room in their cubicles around me. You REALLY need to put this into Your Hub or as a letter to the editor for the paper. Excellent.

Kate