Wednesday, July 26, 2006

The Left Side of My Desk

To the left is the HP printer that my parents gave me for Christmas in 2003. My computer at the time couldn’t even be used with it because it didn’t have USB 2.0 ports. Not to worry, my birthday present ended up being this nice Dell that I am using right now. The printer currently has an issue, it doesn’t print. I need to get that fixed, but I have no income. Having no income has put a hold on lots of purchases, necessary maintenance, or improvements. The paper tray is folded up. Two pieces of paper lay on top of the printer. Did you know the UK uses a different size of paper for their default? It is called A3.

A small frame holding a picture of Kate sits on top of the printer. It was taken last summer when we went to dinner at the Grand Lux Café on Michigan Avenue in Chicago. It is one of my favorite pictures of her. I look at it everyday and think, dang, she is hot and I am lucky.

Behind the picture is a piece of old artwork from airbrush class my senior year in high school. I used the airbrush to make a cone, circle, a folded piece of paper, and a square look three dimensional. Was I successful? The circle turned out wonderfully, but the others not so much. I don’t know why it is out really. Mom probably found it in one of the piles in this room or the basement.

A circular painting of Notre Dame rests in a black wood frame in front of the printer. The painting has a gold border that is accented nicely by the red background of the frame. The parents got me the painting in Paris. Mom even has a photo of the painter on the Seine.

To the right of the painting is my Franklin electronic dictionary. This thing is amazing. It houses thousands of words. Franklin provides entertaining games and a thesaurus on it as well. You can’t forget the trusty flip cover that protects the screen from scratches and the buttons from spillage I suppose.

Tucked under a corner of the dictionary is a coaster that says “Goose Island, Drink Local” on it. You may not know this, but I collect coasters. I must have extras of the Goose Island coaster, which is why I have been using it on my desk.

To the right of the coaster is a candle that I used a lot in Laramie. It is the Cotton Blossom scent from The White Barn Candle Co. Kate gave it to me. I am not going to lie; I really enjoy the scent of it. I don’t use it that much anymore. The house just doesn’t stink like an apartment with at least three college guys in it all the time.

Next you have your random Post-it note pad. Next to that are some used business cards that could probably be tossed. The businesses on them didn’t want me. I will file them away in one of these drawers thinking I will probably use them again, when in reality I won’t.

I now have an Oregon Coast, rubber coaster. The design has a lighthouse shining its rays out to the ocean against a dark night sky. Two black rocks lay next to it. Kate brought them from the Japanese Gardens in Portland.

A Central Presbyterian Church pen rests on top of my calendar which rests on top of the Daily Times-Call Classifieds from Monday, July 24, 2006. There was an advertisement in them for a Virtual Job Fair online. I visited the website and quickly realized that I don’t want to answer phone calls all day long, deliver milk for the Longmont Dairy, or drive forty-foot long public transportation buses. The paper is another discarded tool of the dead-end job search.

Below the paper is one of many Bibles I have. This is a pocket Bible; slim, made of bonded, red leather, and has a button clasp on it. Zondervan published this New International Version. This Bible has been with me since I really became serious about my faith in the high school days. I flip open the front page and read this note, written on the first page, from a youth pastor long removed from my everyday life, “Bryce: May God’s words always direct your life. Philippians 4:8 – 10/3/00.”

No comments: