Monday, December 05, 2011

Free December


Although my next quarter doesn’t start until January 3rd, I just finished ordering the last of its required 28 books. The idea is to get a good chunk of the reading done before week one. That may not happen, but as the books continue to arrive, I’m expecting them to either motivate me or smother me and I’m hoping for the latter.

Having time off has been great so far. I have more energy to devote to swimming (I’m swimming with the masters team at DU), to outdoor pursuits (although not today because it’s 9 degrees outside), and leisure reading (I’m in the middle of the second book of the Millennium series, The Girl Who Played With Fire). However, I have been a little bored from time to time. Urgency is a great motivator.

Last Christmas season, having worked right up to Christmas Eve in a crazy storm of frenzied Apple customers and red shirts, I had a hard time getting into the season because each and every day I saw its very, very ugly side. This season, I’m trying to be more intentional by meditating on the peace that can be found in God and the real meaning of the season (I know that’s clichĂ©, but I don’t care). That also means savoring family traditions of food, gift giving, and making December last as long as possible. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: