Wednesday, September 27, 2006

So, I am a Nerd

During my freshman year, the scheduling of finals interfered with the opening day of Star Wars: Episode II: Attack of the Clones. I was extraordinarily jealous when The Phantom Menace came out and I was unable to see the midnight showing. I was not prepared to make that kind of sacrifice again, but ultimately I had to.

If I attended the opening show at midnight I would have had to drive to Fort Collins, drive back in the early morning, sleep for a few hours, and get up to take three finals. Talk about a bad itinerary. That would have never gone off without a hitch. I would have either fallen asleep at the wheel late that night, or I would have missed and flunked all three of those finals.

I took the bribe from my dad for not attempting that stunt and waiting 48 more hours to see the movie. I really had no choice. I gave in to the reality of having to wait another three years for my chance to see a Star Wars midnight premiere and bought my tickets online for a Friday night showing at 10:35 pm.

Trey ended up going with me. We showed up before 6pm and were the first ones there. Cinemark employees were a little disturbed by such an early arrival on the second day of the release, but they cooperated and started the line for us.

When the doors were opened I was the first one in line.

“Are you ready?” The employee asked.

“I have been ready for three years,” I said.

I took my half of the ticket back and bounded into the theatre; literally sprinting to the middle rail seats—the best ones in the house. I was giddy and scared of anyone talking about the movie before I got a chance to see it. The Star Wars flick was a great way to end the freshman year, as well as the senior year. My favorite cinematic achievements were nice toppings on several months of being overworked in the pool and beat up in the classroom. The payout was grand, and so was the movie that night.

No comments: