Saturday, June 03, 2006

Espanol - With squiggly thing over the 'n'.

SPAN 1010, 1020, and 2030 - Spanish 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1 - I am sort of cheating here, but these classes all blend together. I took all three of these courses in consecutive semesters, Monday through Thursday, and at 8 a.m. This was a painful thing to do because I was up at 5:30 for swimming or weights for the first three days of the week.

I hated Spanish. I am not going to lie. However, I am really glad for what little of the language I retained from these semesters. My limited knowledge of the language has been helpful in some circumstances.

I spent all this time in Spanish in high school thinking that I wouldn't have to take a foreign language in college. Wrong. To master my native tongue at UW I had to spend three semesters studying a foreign language. Sweet. It wasn't all that bad. I met some really cool people. I met some messed up people. My last Spanish professor really loved drinking. This is a presumption. She let me do a presentation in Spanish on my really tall, talking Treebeard doll. This one speech was the highlight of my Spanish career. Treebeard has four phrases in his memory and I converted every word into Spanish, except for the "hobbits".

Two more ebullient blogs on my coursework are coming soon.

1 comment:

Rachel L. said...

You have a Treebeard doll? That is freakin' awesome!