Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Drive-up Banking

I don't go to the bank that often because I don't have a paycheck, but every once in a while I get small amounts of the green stuff coming my way from odd jobs. Actually, this check was blue, not green. So, the drive-up teller at the bank is not a place I visit often, but I still know how to approach the three lanes ahead of me. It isn't hard. I choose the shortest line.

For example, today I drove up and there was already a car in the first lane. There was also a car stopped behind that car while the other two lanes were open. I was presented with two spots without anyone ahead of me. Easy, I chose lane two. This happens a lot. Are people blind? I just think it is one of those weird instances where people are afraid to take the initiative. Call me a fool. Make fun of my presumption all you want. I think I am right on this one. This even sounds absurd to me, but oh well. We are so used to being herded around like cattle and following one another that I think we are a little scared when we don't see a queue where there should be one. Yes, those two empty lanes are there to serve you. Don't be afraid. You aren't going to get shot if you decide to bypass the one or two cars ahead of you for a shot at being in the front of the line.

The bankers have thought this through. They realize that the drive-up is pretty popular. This led them to build three lanes, instead of the measly one. Get this, they also made room for three tellers to work the drive-up. How marvelous. You probably sit behind the car in line because you think there is only one teller, so what is the point in getting in the second line? The bank also pays attention to when it gets busy in the drive-up. When it does, like when all three lanes have cars in them, they send tellers back to take care of the rush. So, next time when you pull up to the drive-up teller choose the open lane. You have nothing to lose. You will be served immediately, or you will just have to wait for those ahead of you to finish their business with the bank. It is also likely that someone will come to your rescue and fill one of the open teller positions in that back window. You will save time. And, I won't have to marvel at your stupidity any longer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are hilarious!!! ...And wise.