Saturday, March 06, 2010

Oscar Predictions

For what it is worth, I’ll take another shot at predicting those who will be victorious tomorrow at the Academy Awards.

Best Picture: The Hurt Locker

I think this is a much harder year to predict in some categories, best picture being the hardest. I could see the underdog, An Education, winning. Even Inglourious Basterds. But if I had to pick one movie that might usurp The Hurt Locker, it is Avatar. I am just not confident about The Hurt Locker’s chances, even though I feel it has all the momentum going into tomorrow even with considering the revelation that a producer emailed voters to tell them to vote for The Hurt Locker.

Actor in a Leading Role: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart

I haven’t seen the movie, but from what I have read and seen on TV about Bridges performance, this is his year. That’s great. I’ve always enjoyed his work.

Actor in a Supporting Role: Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

This is easily the most predictable category. If Waltz doesn’t win, I don’t know anything and neither do most of the top film critics out there. I had heard that his performance was outstanding, but after watching the movie a couple of weeks ago, I would say that outstanding is an understatement. He dominates every scene he is in. You hang on his every word and are awestruck at his humorous overtures and hand waving and then, once he has tricked you into liking him, he shows his dark side and he does it over and over again throughout the movie. Brilliant.

Actress in a Leading Role: Carey Mulligan, An Education

I haven’t seen the performance, but people are buzzing about it. Out of all the movies that are home to nominated performances, I most want to see An Education. It looks great and I saw the preview tonight when I watched The Damned United. (Great movie by the way!) Anyway, I wouldn’t be surprised by a win for Gibourey Sidibe here, but I think Mo’Nique will take the victory for Precious in the Supporting Role category. I would be surprised if Sandra Bullock won. Then I might actually have to see The Blind Side.

Actress in a Supporting Role: Mo’Nique, Precious

I wonder what her last name is? I haven’t seen the movie, but if I ever come out of obscurity and am famous for some reason I want to have one name. Any ideas?

Animated Feature Film: Up

The thing I remember most about this film is that Kate was crying 11 minutes into it. That’s an accomplishment. It is almost like that first eleven is a movie unto itself. Then you just end up watching the second movie to see what happens to the old man.

Art Direction: Avatar

It has got to start racking up awards sometime, right. Well, I think Avatar is a shoe-in for this one.

Cinematography: Avatar

I don’t think it is going to win best picture or best director, but it has to take home some statues.

Costume Design: The Young Victoria

The only reason I picked this film: because doing costumes for a movie set in 19th century England seems harder than all the rest.

Directing: Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker

Bigelow beats out her ex. Does anyone else think James Cameron’s hairdo is awful?

Documentary: Food, Inc.

I haven’t seen this one either, but I’ve essentially read the books. See Michael Pollan.

Documentary Short: The Last Truck: Closing of a GM Plant

I’m totally guessing here. No clue. Probably wrong.

Film Editing: The Hurt Locker

Foreign Language Film: Ajami

Because I like the title. No other reason.

Makeup: Star Trek

Music (Original Score): Avatar

But if another movie wins, I think it will go to Up. Maybe I’ll be wrong on both.

Music (Original Song): “The Weary Kind (Theme from Crazy Heart)” by Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett

Short Film (Animated): A Matter of Loaf and Death

Again, because I like the title.

Short Film (Live Action): Kavi

Sound Editing: The Hurt Locker

Sound Mixing: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Visual Effects: Avatar

No other movie deserves this award.

Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire

Writing (Original Screenplay): The Hurt Locker

1 comment:

Rachel L. said...

I agree with all the Hurt Locker accolades. That movie is the best one I have seen this year. Also, UP. I was crying 11 min in as well. I loved it! I like your predictions...its almost like filling out a NCAA bracket. Ha.